American Honda has recalled 21,000 4 wheel drive Honda FourTrax TRX500 Foreman ATV models FE and FM. The reason for the recall is that the ATV steering shaft can break without warning during use. When the steering shaft breaks, the driver will lose steering control of the ATV. This increases the likelihood of a crash. The model years are from 2012 and 2013 and were manufactured from May 2011 through September 2013.
|2012 TRX500FE||1HFTE387*C4000006 thru 1HFTE387*C4005765|
|2012 TRX500FE Camo||1HFTE385*C4000002 thru 1HFTE385*C4001201|
|2012 TRX500FM||1HFTE380*C4000004 thru 1HFTE380*C4007923|
|2012 TRX500FM Camo||1HFTE381*C4000003 thru 1HFTE381*C4000902|
|2013 TRX500FE||1HFTE387*D4100001 thru 1HFTE387*D4101860|
|2013 TRX500FE Camo||1HFTE385*D4100001 thru 1HFTE385*D4100600|
|2013 TRX500FM||1HFTE380*D4100001 thru 1HFTE380*D4102400|
|2013 TRX500FM Camo||1HFTE381*D4100001 thru 1HFTE381*D4100480|
Click here to read the full recall: American Honda Recalls Foreman ATVs Due to Crash Hazard
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ATVs and contact a Honda ATV dealer to schedule a free repair. American Honda is contacting its customers directly.
Since 1982 California Leads the Nation in ATV Deaths
Although many users feel ATVs may be cool and fun to ride, experience shows they present a safety hazard. According to the CPSC, from January 1, 1982 to December 31, 2011, California had the most deaths associated with all terrain vehicles. During this period, California had 628 deaths reported, including 124 deaths in the last three years of the reporting period.
In 2011, there were more than 100,000 emergency room related injuries than were treated due to ATV incidents. 30% of these injuries involved children under the age of 16.
ATVs are regulated by the California Department of Parks and Recreation. Because of the serious injuries and deaths associated with ATVs, regulations include;
- All operators on public lands are required to wear a helmet at all times.
- No one under 18 is to operate an ATV on public land unless they are in possession of a safety certificate or with an adult who possesses a safety certificate.
- No one under 14 may operate an ATV on public land unless they are accompanied and directly supervised by a parent/guardian, or an adult who is authorized by the parent/guardian.
- No one under 14 may operate an ATV on public land unless they or the adult directly supervising them possesses a safety certificate.
- No passengers are allowed at any time while on public lands, except one passenger may be carried if the ATV is designed for a passenger.
- ATVs may not be used on highways, except to cross these highways.
- All ATVs are required to be titled and registered with the owner receiving a numbered plate for the ATV.
- Registration is to be renewed once each year.
Despite, the state laws that are intact for all terrain vehicles, ATVs still pose a dangerous hazard while riding them. Data shows us that people MUST remember ATVs are not toys – they are powerful and potentially dangerous vehicles.
The lawyers at the Brandi Law Firm have represented a number of people involving defective consumer products. Please contact the California Defective Product Attorneys at the Brandi Law Firm today (1-800-481-1615 or email us) to talk with an experienced product liability attorney.
American Honda is a registered trademark of American Honda Motor Company. The use of this trademark is solely for product identification and informational purposes. American Honda Motor Company is not affiliated with this website, and American Honda Motor Company has no affiliation with the Brandi Law Firm. Nothing on this site has been authorized or approved by American Honda Motor Company.